Saturday 21 April 2007

Brakes

Decided it would be good to fit the brake calipers at the front.
Like a lot of things, these were stripped and painted many years ago.

Wisely I decided to test them before fitting. I applied the air gun to the hole and nothing much happened. I tested the next one and a small movement was observed. I squirted in a bit of WD40 and tested it again. The vapourised WD40 covered most of the desk now - but both pistons are moving.

On the first caliper, this method only moved one piston. I stripped it down and found the culprit. The seal between the halves was too wide and covered both ports. The seal was modified too look a bit like Mickey mouse and all now works fine.

Fitting the calipers was fairly easy - but the Disc dust shields needed a bit of a tweak to allow the calipers to fit.

It looks quite good now with the copper pipes and Aeroquip hoses. I'll get the silicon fluid and start to fill the system later in the week.